Wednesday 5 August 2015

New Comics


Where the blogger writes about his newly received monthly package of comics from the nice people at Page 45 before he's even read them, although God knows why he thinks anybody would be interested. Anyway, let the inane babbling commence.


Bacchus Colour Special (Dark Horse)
Creators: Eddie Campbell, Teddy Kristiansen
Everyone who has been collecting comics for any length of time will recognise this. There is mention of a comic by a favourite creator on a favourite series and your brain thinks, “I don't remember that. Better grab me a copy”. You grab yourself a copy and eagerly open it up, whereupon there is a dawning realisation that you already own it, in fact bought it when it first came out twenty years before. Cracking open the comic anyway for a quick look, all the while cursing the gods for only giving you a small house and thus forcing your beloved comic collection into the loft, when the Comic Book Gods smile down and grant a blessing. The past twenty years may have made you forget you had the comic, but they also made you forget how wonderful it was. Truth to tell I'd not have retrieved this from the loft anyway, so it's with some pleasure that I anticipate reading through it properly once the collected Bacchus Volume 1 has been consumed. After that it's off to anyone I know that I think will appreciate it.

Loki Agent of Asgard #16 (Marvel)
Creators: Al Ewing, Lee Garbett, Antonio Fabela, Clayton Cowles
If you've read the review below then you know that I'm a fan of this book. It feels like this is heading for some sort of climax. This all ties in with the latest crossover event from Marvel which they constantly churn out, each one promising things will never be the same ag….<yawn!>. I've no idea if this will continue beyond the tie-ins, but the cynic in me thinks that if it is selling well then it will carry on. Let's hope so.

Zero Volume 4: Who By Fire (Image)
Creators: Ales Kot, Ian Bertram, Stathis Tsemberlidis, Robert Sammelin, Tula Lotay, Jordie Bellaire, Clayton Cowles, Tom Muller, Jeff Lemire
The final collected volume in this series which has served as my introduction to Ales Kot. This has been a magnificent tale, and one I genuinely do not know how it will end. It is very much that rare comic in which different artists are used throughout without detracting from the tale (in fact in this case the different styles used seem to add to it). I'm excited by this but incredibly disappointed, as ever, with the cover. I'm not sure what effect they are aiming for but none of the covers, consistent  as they are in design, have ever really worked for me. If ever there was a case for not judging a book by its cover it is this.
Tim Ginger (Top Shelf Productions)
Creator: Julian Hanshaw
The Page 45 Comic Book of the Month Club is a fantastic innovation from my favourite independent retailer. Each month they select a comic, which could be a full graphic novel, individual issue, or trade paperback collection, and offer them to member of the club with a 20% discount. There's no tie down period, and joining is as easy as emailing and asking to. It is a wonderful way to expand one's tastes, trying comics that you may have completely ignored or been unaware of. I like to think of myself as being completely open when it comes to my tastes in comics, but this has turned me on to creators and books I would never have thought of (e.g. the Japanese creators Inio Asano (Solanin, Nijigahara Holograph), Naoki Urasawa (Pluto)  and Taiyo Matsumoto (Sunny), the above mentioned Ales Kot, Matz and Luc Jacamon (The Killer), Jason Shiga (Meanwhile, Empire State), Andi Watson (Little Star)). However this is one I was immediately attracted to from the reviews I've read of it, and it's heading to the top of the pile for reading next.

The Complete Peanuts 1995 to 1996 (Fantagraphics)
Creator: Charles M Schultz
I've been getting these since they first started, which was when my wife and I first got together. That's eleven years now and the strips are closing in on the end when Schultz retired the strip in 2000 shortly before he died. It will be one of those bittersweet things when we finally reach the last volume. Fantagraphics have done a fine job with their packaging of these wonderful, and sometimes eye wateringly funny, strips. I can't think of anybody better than Seth to put in charge of the presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment